MAPC’s Data Services group has an opening for a GIS Analyst/Geodatabase Specialist. The Data Services Group seeks to utilize information and create technology tools that help not only inform Metro Boston’s planning and public policy, but also drive social change.
GIS Analyst / Geodatabase Specialist
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council seeks a GIS Analyst for the Data Services Group. The GIS Analyst will collect and organize geographic data, conduct analysis, and prepare maps for presentation in print and electronic formats. This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment focused on using data and analysis to support regional planning and policymaking.
- Perform work related to GIS data, mapping, analysis, and technical support for MAPC regional planning projects and initiatives.
- Provide on-going support and maintenance of the regional geo-spatial data library
- Assist with the installation of software and hardware, setup, and troubleshooting
- Establish a method for cataloging, storing, and archiving existing data sets in a central database
- Research and obtain updates to our current data sets as they are released
- Collect and maintain project data from other units within MAPC
- Research and identify new data sources that will expand our service capacity
- Conduct statistical analysis and prepare summary reports from data sets
- Maintain and update existing Community Viz model and adapt for local applications
- Build relationships with other agencies and allied organizations
- Respond to email and telephone data inquiries from municipalities and allied organizations
- Assist Data Services Group staff in presentation of reports and other information, both oral and written
- Perform other duties as necessary
The following are required qualifications for the position:
- A bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, geographic information systems, public health, economics, computer sciences, or a related field and at least three years experience in GIS
- High level of cartographic experience
- Experience with creation and management of geodatabases.
- A high proficiency with ESRI software, including ArcGIS, ArcSDE, ArcIMS, and ArcGIS-Server
- Experience with XML, SQL, Microsoft Office and in particular MS Access
- Experience working with diverse data sets from federal, state, and local agencies.
- Knowledge of spatial statistics
- Demonstrated innovative, strategic and analytical capabilities, self-motivation and goal-oriented approach
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal staff and the general public (oral and written)
The following are preferred qualifications for the position:
- Master’s degree in planning, geography, geographic information systems, public health, economics, computer sciences, or related field
- Experience in application programming and development or strong aptitude in using VBA, .NET, XML, ArcXML, ArcObject, Java Script, CSS, and HTML
- Experience with graphic design software such as Adobe PhotoShop, and IT experience a plus
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, and open source GIS and Internet mapping
- Experience with scenarios modeling (Community Viz), visualization, and 3-D modeling.
- Experience with data replication and archiving
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range from $44,000 to $49,000 DOQ. Excellent state employee benefits package.
Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin on February 15th, 2008.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references. MAPC is an EOE/ AA employer.
ABOUT THE DATA SERVICES GROUP
The MAPC Data Services Group conducts the following activities:
• Maintain a warehouse of geospatial and tabular data about Metro Boston and continually acquire or develop new datasets.
• Provide data analysis, mapping, policy analysis, and modeling support to all other departments within the agency.
• Provide basic analytical services and data products to municipalities and allied organizations, both “on demand” and through on-line resources.
• Provide training, technical assistance, and coordination to support municipal use of GIS, other data applications, and other technology.
• Undertake customized research projects or studies for external clients.
• Conduct independent research on emerging planning issues of regional significance to educate the public, private, and non-profit sectors on the implications of policy and regional trends.
Over the past few years the Data Services Group has:
• Developed the Metro Boston Data Common, an on-line web mapper and data viewer (in partnership with The Boston Foundation).
• Prepared demographic, employment, and land use projections for 164 municipalities in Metro Boston to support regional transportation planning.
• Developed a comprehensive model of regional growth and development to support regional planning and policy development.
• Pioneered the use of decision support tools such as Community Viz modeling, scenario visualization, and wireless keypads.
• Prepared interactive maps of critical infrastructure and facilities to support emergency response, evacuation planning, and pre-disaster mitigation.
• Partnered with community-based organizations to launch a “Human Development Overlay” project designed to link residents with health, social, business, and other assistance in a rapidly developing neighborhood of
HOW TO APPLY
Send all application materials to: (Email responses strongly preferred. Only applications with cover letters will be reviewed)
Thomas E. Hauenstein
Manager of Human Resources
(617) 451-2770, ext. 2072
(617) 482-7185 FAX