Here's an announcement of a webinar on government performance measurement and community indicators:
Making the Connection: Government Performance and the Quality of Life
Join Governing's Jonathan Walters for a special web seminar on this topic, on Wednesday, April 29th at 1:00 p.m. ET / 10:00 a.m. PT.
Governing Webinar When and Where:
Making the Connection: Government Performance and the Quality of Life.
Date: Tuesday, April 29th
Time: 1:00 p.m. ET / 10:00 a.m. PT
Duration: 1 hour
Do you sometimes wonder whether your hard work – and what you accomplish – really contributes to a better life for your fellow citizens? Learn how some communities are making real and meaningful connections between government performance and the quality of life in their cities, counties and states.
Walters will talk with Rita Conrad from the Oregon Progress Board, which has for more than two decades been working to link government action with statewide livability indicators. They'll be joined by Kathy Carter, now community relations director for Washoe County, Nevada and formerly the head of her region's long-running livability initiative, along with Dawn Farr of the Oregon Legislature's Fiscal Office and Jeff Tryens, Conrad's predecessor at the Progress Board.
You’ll get an inside view of the work these efforts take -- and the results they hope to – and sometimes do – produce. You’ll have a chance to ask your questions about their experiences – and how they may apply to your community and your government.
- How livability indicator projects are beginning to influence public policy;
- How and why public officials are starting to embrace community indicators; and
- How these indicators can serve as a rallying point for building cooperative, public/private initiatives in areas beyond government's reach.
Register today to join Jonathan Walters and his guests, your colleagues, in this discussion.
Before you join, be sure to read (or re-read) Walters' article "Add to Wish List" in the April issue of Governing.
- Jonathan Walters, Columnist, Governing Magazine
- Rita Conrad, Executive Director, Oregon Progress Board
- Dawn Farr, Legislative Analyst, Oregon Legislature's Fiscal Office
- Kathy Carter, Community Relations Director, Washoe County, Nevada, and former President, Truckee Meadows Tomorrow
- Jeff Tryens, former Executive Director (1995-2004), Oregon Progress Board