Project Coordinator - Sustainability Indicators Report
Sustainable San Mateo County, San Mateo, CA
Established in 1992, Sustainable San Mateo County (SSMC) is a nonprofit dedicated to the long-term health of our county’s economy, environment and social equity by educating about sustainability. More information about SSMC can be found at http://www.sustainablesanmateo.org/.
SSMC is a small office with 4 paid employees and over 50 dedicated volunteers. We are seeking a part-time contract professional to manage the Indicators Report project. Position available immediately.
Hours/Terms of Employment: Contract position without benefits. Contractor’s rate of pay $30 - $40 per hour depending on experience with hours not to exceed 800. Term from present to June 30, 2008 with most hours worked from October, 2008 to April, 2009.
Responsibilities:The Indicators Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the Sustainable San Mateo County 2009 “Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County” report card, also known as the Indicators Report. The Coordinator/Editor will also be responsible for ensuring that all elements are written in a consistent style that adheres to generally accepted style guides.
Specific duties include:
• Project management, including recruiting volunteers, preparing formatting and research guidelines for volunteer researchers, coordination of indicators researchers’ submissions and verifying sources and correct uses of information.
• Editing each indicator and all other parts of the report before submitting for review by Indicators Committee.
• Research, write and edit portions of the report including the Introduction and Summary, and sections prepared by volunteers. Review and edit the City Reports which are submitted by the cities.
• Work with SSMC staff to format and upload indicators report onto SSMC website.
• Work with the Charts editor and Graphic Designer to ensure consistent, clear and attractive layout.
• Update Research Guides for 2010 Report.
• Participate in the Indicators Committee and other meetings as requested.
• Identify refinements, additional indicators that would enhance value, and implement refinements as appropriate.
The Coordinator/Editor will act as project leader under the guidance and support of the Indicators Committee, ensuring that report development progresses from inception to completion, and that actions are taken to mitigate any obstacles to completion. The overall goal for the Coordinator is to meet the project deadline and to deliver a high-quality report for publication.
• Bachelor degree in related field required, Masters preferred.
• Minimum 5 years professional experience. • Demonstrated ability to lead and coordinate the activities of large groups of people, experience in managing volunteers a plus.
• Experience developing publication of similar scope from inception to completion.
• Writing and/or editing experience within a publishing setting.
• Familiarity with style guides, and understanding of style editing, or an ability to assimilate such information independently.
• Ability to research and write sections of the report.
• Understanding and familiarity with sustainability issues, specifically as they relate to San Mateo County and generally to the San Francisco Bay Area.
• Expertise in the use of MS Word and Excel.
To apply, send personal cover letter and resume.
See this link for more information.