Community Indicators for Your Community

Real, lasting community change is built around knowing where you are, where you want to be, and whether your efforts are making a difference. Indicators are a necessary ingredient for sustainable change. And the process of selecting community indicators -- who chooses, how they choose, what they choose -- is as important as the data you select.

This is an archive of thoughts I had about indicators and the community indicators movement. Some of the thinking is outdated, and many of the links may have broken over time.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Blogging Graphs

The good folks at Swivel have made it easire than ever to add graphs to a blog entry.

You begin by either creating or selecting a graph at Swivel. I've been talking with folks about global demographic trends and their potential impacts in local communities, so I chose fertility rates in OECD countries.

The next step is to look under the graph at "Share this graph". Under the send-to-e-mail link is "post to blog" -- they make it pretty easy. When I click that, I get a page with a helpful note pointing out which text to copy and paste into HTML, and some options on what size graph I want. I choose medium, and try below:

United States vs. Total fertility rates: Number of children born to women aged 15 to 49 Japan vs. Total fertility rates: Number of children born to women aged 15 to 49 Mexico vs. Total fertility rates: Number of children born to women aged 15 to 49 Turkey

That seems a little cluttered, so I refocus on just U.S. fertility rates:

United States

Then, because I'm interested in sparklines, I try a sparkline version of the same graph:

This turns out to be as simple as Swivel promised. Send me your examples of using graphs in your blogs. In the meantime, I'll gather a bit more information on the global trends we're looking at, and an upcoming conference to discuss how they effect local community planning effort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment